RESEARCH AND COMMUNICATION ASSISTANT
- Opportunity closing date: Saturday, 30 September, 2017
- Location: Sea Point, Cape Town
- Education level: Master’s degree
- Job level: Junior
- Job type: Full time
- Start date: September/October, for 3 months initially
- Reference: Junior researcher and data guru
We are looking for a recent graduate to help us in our research and communication work. At Lushomo we help organisations do good with data, combining research, data and design, with the aim of making information accessible, interesting and enjoyable to those engaging with it. Most of our clients are United Nations organisations working in the environment, health and development fields.
You will be working with an exciting, dynamic team of designers, web developers, researchers and project managers to turn clients’ content into visually stimulating products. This job involves a high level of creative collaboration, with frequent meetings to brainstorm, give input and receive feedback. It has much room for learning and career growth in a range of areas.
Your main role initially will be to slot into some of our existing projects on eliminating malaria and tobacco elimination (both for World Health Organisation, Geneva). This will involve research, writing news items, some data analysis, and generating content for web and social media. If you like it here, and we work well together, the idea would be for us to help train you up for general account management.
This job involves:
- Desk-based research
- Creating content for websites and reports
- Understanding and communicating statistics
- Developing wireframes for our designers
- Managing social media accounts
- General helping out – we are small team of 4 so we all do a bit of everything
The applicant should:
- Be a team player.
- Have a Master’s degree in a related field. This job involves academic and report writing. You will also have to engage with scientists/researchers in the fields of health, environment and development so it is important that you are able to quickly develop a general understanding of any of our clients’ areas of expertise.
- Be able to simply and effectively communicate data and concepts.
- A good understanding of numbers, graphs and statistics. Many of the reports involve statistics that will have to be conceptualised visually.
- Have excellent English language skills – both verbal and written. You will need to communicate with clients, write content and occasionally proofread and edit content.
- Be creative with an interest in design.
- Be able to think visually. This job involves turning text into visuals and infographics. You will have to create wireframes for reports and visuals that will then be passed to the designer to create.
- Have an eye for detail.
- Understand the importance of well-communicated material.
- Be able to set and meet deadlines.
- Work well under pressure with strict time deadlines.
If you’re interested in joining the team, let us know why. We look forward to hearing from you!
To apply, please send your CV, cover letter and any additional documentation (feel free to send examples of your academic or creative work) to email@example.com.